Here are my answers to the I Love Austen Week Tag by Hamlette's Soliloquy.
1. Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one?
My first Austen experience was actually an Austen themed birthday party for a girl from my church. There was a quotes game and I had to wildly guess. I knew a few characters names from P&P and actually got I think 3 correct! I started reading P&P the day before the party but only got through a few chapters. I eventually finished it though so I guess it was my first book. I also watched the 1940 movie version. Several years before that I checked out S&S because I liked the cover but when I tried to read it I was bored (seen next question).
2. What is your favorite Austen book?
Definitely "Sense and Sensibility" (even though I've only read the first half of it so far...)! I started reading it after watching the 1995 movie, which I love (see question 5).
My copy (library for 25 cents)
3. Favorite heroine? Why do you like her best?
Definitely Elinor Dashwood. She is the character most like me.
4. Favorite hero? Why do you like him best?
Probably Colonel Brandon (Alan Rickman) because his story is so sad.
5. Do you have a favorite film adaptation of Austen's work?
As I said above, S&S (1995). I also LOVE Becoming Jane (2007), though that's about Austen, not her work.
6. Have your Austen tastes changed over the years? (Did you start out liking one story best, but now like another better? Did you think she was boring at first, then changed your mind? Etc.)
I used to wonder why people liked her so much. But after reading and watching Austen I understand why :)
7. Do you have any cool Austen-themed things (mugs, t-shirts, etc)? (Feel free to share photos if you want.)
Nope. All I own is the S&S book and Becoming Jane. I would like to buy The Bedside, Bathtub, & Armchair Companion to Jane Austen and Emma Thompson's The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries (which I've actually read). Also Austen's letters to her family members.
8. If you could ask Jane Austen one question, what would you ask her?
What was the extant of her relationship with Tom Lefroy?
9. Imagine someone is making a new film of any Jane Austen story you choose, and you get to cast the leads. What story do you want filmed, and who would you choose to act in it?
Probably an old Hollywood version of Sense and Sensibility. I would cast Olivia de Havilland or Joan Fontaine as Elinor Dashwood, maybe Gregory Peck for Edward, Vivien Leigh as Marianne, Errol Flynn as John Willoughby, William Powell as Colonel Brandon, and Joan Carroll for Margaret Dashwood. If any of these actors sound wrong for the role, it's been a while since I've visited these characters and my mind always goes blank when I try to think of actors.
10. Share up to five favorite Jane Austen quotations!
I know I've probably written some down someplace...